How can we improve Maya?

glTF support is needed for VR/AR industry

Those of us in the VR/AR industry are rapidly embracing the glTF 2.0 file format.

Sites like Sketchfab are embracing this format and it is gaining momentum.

However, right now, creating glTF assets is very difficult-- there are a few ways of converting existing formats but most of them are extremely cumbersome, require other software (Blender, for example), and are generally not very robust yet.

I will speak on behalf of us in the VR/AR industry in saying that we really need the support of companies like Autodesk to help us.

https://www.khronos.org/gltf

Seeing as Autodesk is listed as one of the companies supporting glTF, I would love to know what kind of timeline we're dealing with for getting native export support from Maya and other 3d packages.

88 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jconradFCYUP shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PlumCantaloupe commented  · 

Yes, please add GLTF support. Substance Painter and Blender allow us to do so; but not Maya which is hugely unfortunate.

• davillustration commented  · 

Another VR AR content developer. Having this integrated into standard Maya workflow is a must. I'm embarrassed for you that it's not there now.

• brendanluu commented  · 

gltf is great for webXR. Please add gltf support asap

• slorpthegillmania commented  · 

Hi all,

I am an Autodesk Certified Instructor for Maya, and also a 3D lead within the Windows group at Microsoft. I AM DYING for glTF material and export function built native into Maya. Microsoft Windows is going full tilt into the glTF format being the default 3D file format for our PC and Mixed Reality products. This is something that we could really really use. :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base